Name: Omar French
Rank & Organization: Black Belt, Renato Tavares Association
BJJ Highlights: Silver medalist, IBJJF 2015 Vegas Spring International Open
Etc: Owner, Omar French BJJ (Triton Fight Center Affiliate)
1) What do you consider your worst BJJ moment, and why?
Not being able to train after a motorcycle accident where I broke my leg, I was out for 3 months. Although I still attended to class but just on the sidelines.
2) What’s an “AHA!” moment you’ve had in your journey?
Walking for the first time I compete at the IBJJF Worlds, I got to see all my BJJ heroes MG, Galvao, Roger Gracie, Renato Tavares Etc. It was super an awesome experience!
3) What’s the best jiu-jitsu advice you’ve ever received?
Play hard but smart & position before submission!
4) What is one habit you have that you believe has contributed to your success?
Never quitting, many times I have lost, got discouraged, doubted my skills. The secret is to try to be better than yesterday. One step at a time.
5) How do you mentally and physically prepare for competition?
I don't like to think about the competition, I like to believe in my skills -- competition only access (sic) how I do next to others, my true competition is with myself. Physically I normally train 3 to 4 hours a day. Don't do conditioning just BJJ.
6) Who is your favorite superhero?
I'm not sure if Goku is a superhero but I'm sure he can kick Spiderman, Superman & Ironman's butts any day!